Pure Sicilian Saffron Threads
Saffron is one of those secret ingredients of Italian cuisine! Essential in Risotto alla Milanese, it is also used to bring flavour, aroma and colour to many other Italian dishes.
Our pure saffron threads from Sicily are cultivated in the excellent fertile soil in the shadow of Mount Etna. They are grown entirely by hand, from bulb to flower to harvest, with extreme care and in the most natural way possible with no use of pesticides or herbicides. Drying the saffron at a maximum temperature of 45°c on the same day of harvest means that its properties remain intact and that the threads are uncontaminated. Saffron threads are much better than saffron powder as they keep their flavour for much longer. Remember that a little goes a long way!
Aside from being a wonderful ingredient in the kitchen, saffron also has medicinal properties and is known as something of an elixir. It is said to:
- Stimulate the metabolism
- Promote digestive functions
- Reduce blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Increase immune defences
How to use saffron
- Place the saffron threads in a small cup of very hot water (or broth).
- Cover and leave to infuse for at least 25 minutes. You will see that the water becomes an intense yellow colour.
- Gently press the threads with a teaspoon.
- Add the contents of the cup to your recipe - ideally towards the end, so that the saffron is not cooked.
Azienda Agricola di Ravale Roberto
Roberto Ravale's farm is located in Catania on Sicily's eastern coast at the foot of Mount Etna. The farm is family run, cultivation is by hand without the use of any pesticides.